Sunday, October 25, 2009

My So-Called Life

Now, in 21st century serials, we see teenagers use words like "pirana" and "extortion". Words that we, as normal teenagers would have to look up in the dictionary to confirm. 
After watching "My So- Called Life" from 1994, it seems as though in the early 90's, this was the opposite.  
It's interesting to see how the characters in this show are very slow with their talking.
 "why are you, like the way you are?" (took a pause in between)
"why do you like, say things like that?" (another pause)
"what?" "huh?" (three minutes to just let this out)
"like.... whatever"(same thing)
I for one think that teenagers speak a bit more fluently than just three-five words at a time with swaggering stances. 
But you see, although I am a bit ticked off by the dialogue, I am impressed by the way the show leaves the audience hanging- who will Angela (school outcast) end up with? Jordan, the popular burnout? Or Brian, the sensitive nerd? Neither of the resulting relationships would be normal..
I believe there's been a lot of fanfiction about that...  


No comments:

Post a Comment