Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Brave

So I was expecting a lot from this movie. I was expecting an amazing tale of fiction and action, with the main character being an extremely skilled warrior. I was expecting some sort of fantastical journey with wolves and dangerous beasts. Well, I got quite a bit of that, but I also got something that I felt was not needed: marriage proposals and a mother turning into a bear.
The story could have been more epic. I thought that although it was comedic at first, the very concept of turning your mother into a bear is rather odd for a Disney movie. The girl does go on a journey to turn her mother back into a human being, but more out of necessity. She does not develop or become "brave" the way I expected, she rather goes on this race through the forest to break the spell. I would imagine that if I were a Disney princess, or expert tomboy archer in this case, I would also want to rescue my mom as a first resort. So if that is resolved then I guess the bigger picture of the movie is the relationship between the  mother and daughter that must be fixed.
I could not relate to this movie. The mother, grasping on to the traditions of their barbaric Scottish dynasty forces her daughter to consider three suitors, who are ALL dweebs. I never had such an argument like that with my mother...
Well, with reasonable resort, the girl (who's name is Merida) follows the "will-o-the-wisps" these Avatar-like lights that hum, and follows her fate. She eventually comes upon an old witch's hut, which makes for some of the funniest scenes in the movie. She asks the witch for a spell that will change her mother, but the witch, being the cheeky woman she is, gives her a potion that would quite literally change her mother.... into, well, an animal.
Most of us cannot change our parents into animals, but I suppose that if we did, we would be forced to mend our relationships too..


No comments:

Post a Comment