Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Sherlock Holmes is a fast-paced comedy-action flick with great actors, namely Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law. I loved the slow motion shots when the characters are fighting each other and the mental fight that Holmes and his rival, Professor Moriarty have at the end.
The movie brings out the eccentric but lovable personality of Holmes through his wacky diet of embalming fluid and his intriguing but hilarious innovations, like his onesie camouflage costume. I like how his room is enshrouded in leaves and how he has a couple of goats and birds in there, randomly wandering. I love how he nags his nanny, Mrs. Hudson, to constantly take care of him and them.
I know that in Arthur Conan Doyle's novels, Holmes is portrayed to be serious and posh, but I really like Downey's rendition, with all his comedic dimensions. My favorite dialogue in the movie is when his partner, Dr. Watson (Jude Law) asks him, "isn't your costume a bit too conspicuous" and Holmes (wearing a messy fake beard) simply replies, "It's so overt that it's covert."
I also really enjoyed the character of Mycroft Holmes (Stephen Fry) who, being the most carefree guy in the world is somehow really important to the foreign ministry of the British Government.
The villain of Professor Moriarty is also well portrayed by Jared Harris, with his right eyebrow permanently arched and with a sharp, cunning way of speaking. His snaky but precise assistant is also an asset to the cliffhanging suspense of the movie, being the best marksman of the British army and all.
These are aspects of the movie that really stood out to me, other than the marvelous set design. As far as the story goes, twisted plots fail to impress me after watching the masterpieces of Christopher Nolan, but this movie sure has the comic wit and action to intrigue a large scale audience of which I am happy to say, am a proud member.

No comments:

Post a Comment