Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Parenthood

It's been a while since I've indulged in my dosage of useless TV drama. Parenthood fit the bill for non-brain cell usage after a day of relative productivity.
It has characters that cry over everything, big or small, and people who consistently make decisions based on their emotions, even though one character explicitly says "I need to stop making decisions based on my emotions."
So what is Parenthood about? It's about this huge dysfunctional family that tries to maintain their relationship despite constant struggles in their lives.
Some of the struggles I feel are moving. For example, the stable couple of the family (Adam Braverman and his wife, Sarah), have a child named Max with Aspergers who needs a lot of care, but seems nonchalant to the love and concern that his family has for him. His sister once yells at him after he wanders off trying to look for the dinosaur museum, "You have to think about other people around you! We were worried sick!" I would consider that a sometimes frustrating situation to deal with, and I think the show did a good job depicting that.
Something I find unnecessary about the show: teen PDA. The adults clearly steal the show, and teenage romance seems like a drag.
Something I find unrealistic: The lawyer daughter and her husband opting for a "sky baby" for adoption (a child whose family is about to place him/her into an orphanage), and then getting this cute little brown-skinned child. It just seems weird that someone as pragmatic as Julie (the lawyer), would spontaneously opt for having a child with a completely different background to be her son,  furthermore with no introduction or no time to think! And the child looks like a model. The show clearly needed to add more drama.

Overall, would I recommend this program? It has its moments, but I don't think overall it helps to better society or widen anyone's insight on anything, etc. I do like however, how it shows parents and their struggles with disciplining their children or explaining to them about a broken relationship, etc.
It's a program that has potential for getting its actors some emmys. Watch it if you like family drama.


No comments:

Post a Comment